political sign language

Vote for trees.

Vote for spades.

Vote for K(eiko).

Vote for the pink rooster.

Vote for O(llanta).

Vote for oranges.

Vote for the hummingbird.

Admirably abstract, Edwin.

Vote for tractors.

Vote for big hats.

Vote for more. (Who wouldn't?)

Vote for bulls.

Vote for maize.

Vote for stars.

Vote for mothers with children.

Another abstraction.

Vote for the sun.

Vote for more, again.

Vote for the Peruvian pot.

Mother and child, again.

Vote for the condor. (A bit frighteningly fascist.)

Water, yes! Gold, no! No go, Conga! (Anti-mining slogans in Celendin.)

Literacy campaign!

1. James | August 10, 2013 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Great collection. My latest favourite I saw the other day: Vote for…the bulldozer. Slightly ambiguous! It will be very strange when I´m back in a country where it´s not perfectly normal to paint the name of a politician across your whole house. What, you mean you don´t fancy “DAVID CAMERON” plastered across your home for ever more?! I could think of a few icons for him…

2. Lucie | August 13, 2013 at 9:41 pm | Permalink

Wow! 4890m!!!! I am impressed! And the poetry of your pictures again: the clouds!, the pigs!, the winding road! Love them all. Thanks!

3. anna | August 14, 2013 at 12:28 am | Permalink

Hmmm. Yes. I can’t think of an Australian politician that I would particularly care to emblazon the name of across my place of residence.

Lucie, nice to see you around here again!

4. Neil | August 14, 2013 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Had me on tenterhooks there. I thought you weren’t going to have one of the condor! Then you did. Phew. Cesar cumple! etc etc

(When you get to Bolivia see if you can find some Vote Manfred grafitti from 2002. We were delighted to find a few still around when we returned nearly a decade on….)

5. anna | August 14, 2013 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

It took me quite a while to find a decent example of the condor. There’s a few others I’m still missing. But I can always add more over time…

6. Mig Vasq | April 3, 2016 at 5:03 am | Permalink

I admire your energy and devotion to this adventure. I know how hard is to be at high altitude (I did similar trip by car). Congratulations for such a good picture story. keep doing it.