the sound of a million wings

I reach Zitacuaro at dusk and after trying – and failing – to negotiate my way through the busy town in heavy peak hour traffic, following somewhat fanciful directions that focus on entirely on statuary as landmarks, I finally give up and find a cheap hotel for the night.

The next morning, armed with further information to reinforce the directions I have already been already been given, I set off out of Zitacuaro and start to climb yet another mountain. I have left about 5 kilos of luggage stored at the hotel and so I make pretty good time but as I didn’t get off to particularly early start it is still about 2pm by the time I arrive at the butterfly sanctuary.

For the next day and a half, I wonder the mountains and valleys of this area and words do little to describe the experience.

I have only one thing to say really – I never imagined that butterflies make a sound as the fly but I now know that when there are several million of them in one place you can certainly hear the sound of butterfly wings flapping.

The pathway up the mountain.

Flying high.

A million butterflies on a tree.

And millions more hanging in bunches.

A mountain meadow.

Blue sky and butterflies.

Butterfly squadron overhead.

Butterflies on the path.

Looking down.

Tree trunk.

Tree trunk.

Sudden flight.

Countless millions...

...everywhere.

...feeding up for the long flight home.

1. Lucie | March 17, 2010 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Oh, this is infinitely beautiful Anna! The sound of butterfly wings… and the pictures. So the butterflies will now follow your path backwards to the North? Isn’t that intriguing? I love it!

2. Susan | March 18, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink

wow…. that’s the word that I can say when I see your pictures. The butterflies pic and your story are awesome.

3. Babs | March 18, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

NICE!

4. Dian | March 19, 2010 at 12:26 am | Permalink

Dear Anna,

it’s really heartwarming, your pictures and stories, i love your journey, thanks for sharing :)

5. mihiro | March 21, 2010 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Hi! Anna! Nice to see your pictures.
    I am really impressed by your amazing pictures.
    Hope your journey is going well!

6. Julian Bloomer | March 23, 2010 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

Hi Anna,

Came across your blog a while back. I’m cylcing northwards in the Americas, in Bolivia now.

The sound of butterfly wings – fantastic. Beautiful pictures…

Go well,
    Julian

7. Sila | March 26, 2010 at 7:37 am | Permalink

Anna…
    How have you been? I haven’t seen your update for a while now.
    Hope everything is ok and most of all that you’re having a good time.

Keep riding keep smiling :)

8. Mark Cunnington | March 28, 2010 at 8:11 pm | Permalink

amazing shots, I’d like to visit there some day