glimpses, in passing, of panajachel

Overall, I don’t pay Panajachel much heed.

Tuktuks whizz manically along the narrow walkways that link Panajachel's car bearing roads. (Photo: Silke Moeckel)

Dinner on the street consists of charrasco (barbecued meat) or pupusas (a Salvadorean snack a similar to Mexican gorditas). Silke is partial to sweet drinks - the name of this one strikes me as fairly unappertising.

The communities around the lake all suffered considerable damage during the torrential rains of the last wet season. The less fortunate villages also suffered a significant number of fatalities.

1. Tony and Cesca | March 3, 2011 at 10:25 am | Permalink

As always highly entertaining reading. Once you’ve clipped in, you’ll never go back! Having ridden this way for what seems like forever, I in fact feel out of control and my pedal stroke seems only halfway effective with flat pedals. How those downhill and bmx riders do their stuff always blows me away. You’ll find riding hills will be “easier”. As for “Squirt” this is the name of a chain lube much loved by MTB’rs. Yep I wouldn’t drink it either! A new drive train will really make you buzz along. Your’s must have been totally screwed. Amazing what you can put up with if you have to. You’ll have many more delightful kms in the saddle now. Take care.

2. anna | March 3, 2011 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

Hi Tony and Cesc! I think I am detecting Tony’s voice here. I’m still undecided about the pedals… I can certainly see their value on tarmac but I spend a lot of time on unpaved roads… and they don’t work for me so well there.

3. Alan | March 5, 2011 at 3:26 am | Permalink

Hi Anna,

How many Km’s have you clocked up now?

I hope your pedals work, personally I hate clip ins, particularly on the dirt tracks.

Hope the new drive chain goes well.

Great reading, as always.

Al

4. anna | March 5, 2011 at 3:43 am | Permalink

Without a cycle computer I can only, somewhat inaccurately, calculate the distance I’ve covered by plotting my approximate route on Google Maps. By this reckoning I’ve done just over 20 000 kilometres but I have a feeling that this is something of an underestimation because generally roads are a fair bit wigglier than the lines I draw on maps. But who’d know.

5. Alan | March 5, 2011 at 11:29 pm | Permalink

If you ever happen to come across a lazy 2k, and you’re going to keep pushing pedals, you may want to consider changing your drive train to a Rohloff 14 speed internal hub with a Shimano ‘Saint” crank set and a good old fashion high quality steel front chain ring. I run this set up and have, in ~ 30’ooo Km’s only changed the chain, which is also a Rohloff. The 14 speed hub spaces the gears in such a way that each change increases / decreases in equal increments. On a 3 x 7/9 system, such as yours, the inherent fault is overlapping gears or ratios that are so close they are indistinguishable, the Rohloff removes these, hence only 14 ratios, but all different. The shift is also superior in that one can shift whilst at standstill, freewheeling downhill and whilst under extreme load on uphill runs.
    Here’s a link FYI http://www.rohloff.com.au/index.php?id=1274 Ebay is another option but do your research and ask questions.

I love mine and will never go back to a 3 x ?? system.

Re your distance, I suspect when you set out it wasn’t a prime concern as you wouldn’t have been out to prove how far you could cycle but based on my experience as one gets further along the trail it becomes more of an interest and certainly as I’ve got older it’s been of personal interest to know my total distance covered. Could you pick up some simple el cheapo non battery powered odo whilst you’re in South America. They have a little striker that hits a little gear as it revolves on the front wheel.

Happy pedaling……

Al

6. anna | March 5, 2011 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

I could put a Rohloff on my wishlist (and probably would if I thought it was realistic) but I doubt I’m going to have the resources to buy one any time soon… I’d rather have the long lens first…

I can live without a cycle computer. I was given one recently but I passed it on to someone who was more interested in it than I was.